Principal Law Clerk to the Honorable Peter Tom, Associate Justice, Supreme Court of the State of New York, Appellate Division, First Department
- Advised on dispositions of appeals and wrote drafts of published dissents, concurrences, and majority opinions.
- Conducted research in preparation for oral argument, post-argument conference and agenda conferences and wrote drafts of memoranda to associate justices.
- Reviewed and prepared reports on motions for leave to appeal to the Appellate Division and to the Court of Appeals, and motions to reargue appeals.
- Wrote reports on disciplinary matters and drafts of per curiam opinions determining disciplinary proceedings.
- Assisted with the operation of the First Department and prepared for weekly Agenda Conferences and monthly meetings of the Administrative Board of the Courts.
- Assisted in handling administrative matters, including letter complaints from litigants, requests for oral argument time and preference, approval of assigned counsel’s fees, personnel matters, security and technology matters, and hiring and committee appointment determinations.
- Drafted articles and speeches.
- Assisted with drafting of report of the Special Commission on the Future of the New York City Housing Court.
Appellate Court Attorney, Supreme Court of the State of New York Appellate Division, First Department
October 2006-October 2015
- Reviewed records on appeal and wrote bench memoranda and proposed slip opinions to assist court in deciding outcomes of appeals and motions to the Appellate Division; cases involved a wide variety of legal topics, including criminal, matrimonial and family law, commercial, construction, personal injury, defamation, environmental, human rights, malpractice, insurance, arbitration, Article 78 proceedings, and real estate law.
- Heard applications by counsel asking court for emergency relief, and assisted chambers in resolving those matters.
Private Practice 2003-2006
- Worked as a matrimonial associate representing primarily working class clients with divorce, distribution of property, custody, child support, and domestic violence issues.
Brooklyn Law School – J.D. Cum Laude May 2003
Brandeis University – B.A. May 2000
Teaching and Speaking Engagements
Pencil – April 2018
MLK High School, speaker on careers in the law
New York Women’s Bar Association – May 2017
What Matrimonial Attorneys Need to Know For Appellate Practice, Speaker
New York County Lawyers Association – January 2017
The Appellate Division Inside Out, Moderator
National Organization For Men Against Sexism - July 2016
41st Annual Conference, Speaker
“I write a lot about children and gender because I have two young daughters facing unprecedented levels of “pinkification,” because I was raised by a feminist leader who had to figure out how to incorporate a son into her feminist world, and because I think challenging the gender divisions children learn is crucial to our future.”
Senator Liz Krueger - November 2015
Forum: “Counterattack: The Media, The War on Women, & How to Fight Back,” Panelist
"Everything we're talking about here, the root of it is in childhood," Chesler said. "Children ultimately learn that males are important and normal, and females are lesser and abnormal." Chesler also spoke about the negative effects of sexism on men's lives. "Until women are free, men will not be free," he said. "This is because the other side of misogyny is toxic masculinity. Men are directly harmed by values that limit their ability to be their whole selves."
New York State Bar Association, Member
New York County Lawyers' Association, Member and Civil Courts Practice Section
New York Women's Bar Association, Member & Co-Chair CLE Committee
Jewish Lawyers Guild, Member
LGBT Bar Association of Greater NY, Member and mentor
Asian American Bar Association of NY, Member
Metropolitan Black Bar Association, Member
New York State Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Korean American Lawyers Association of Greater New York, Member
Small Claims Arbitrator, Harlem Community Justice Center
Tenants Association, President
Brooklyn Law School, Mentor
LGBT Bar Association, Mentor
Brandeis University, Alumni Admissions Council